My friend, Becky Doughty, just blogged so eloquently on the topic of mentoring here: http://beckydoughty.com/2013/03/07/mentoring-or-enabling/. She shared a very personal experience about when her mentoring turned into enabling–not good for either party involved.
As I mentioned in this post, http://heatherdaygilbert.blogspot.com/2013/02/where-have-all-mentors-gone-and-winner.html, after many discussions with my author friends, we felt the strong need for mentoring for marrieds and authors. The way to do this is to create a community, a hub, where people with varied experiences can share their insights, and that’s what Married…with Fiction is all about.
Becky posted a list of what mentoring looks like. I’m going to share it here.
- Commending – promoting one another by openly speaking highly of each other.
- Entrusting – passing on important and pertinent information to those who can benefit from it.
- Teaching – clarifying what works and doesn’t work to those who are still learning.
- Shepherding – being willing to lead, to steer those who are floundering or might get lost without direction.
- Willingly and eagerly exercising oversight – offering discernment when areas of weakness or strength are noted.
- Being examples – living in a way that Shows, not Tells – sorry, writer humor.
- In humility – never setting oneself above others, no matter what station in life, but always being gracious, putting others first.
- Guiding – offering help and encouragement to others who might be struggling to find their way.
- Sharing – not only the gospel, but of ourselves. Sharing our hearts – things we’ve learned along the journey.
- Training – Being willing to be an example of what has and has not worked, so that others can see more clearly how they should go.
We are thrilled with this new way to connect, share, and grow. We have already lined up so many amazing guest bloggers, and we haven’t begun to touch the tip of the iceberg!
Today, our Married…with Fiction Facebook page opens. We would love for you to check it out and *Like* it! Here’s the link: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Married-with-Fiction/517203398330819?ref=ts&fref=ts. And our twitter feed is here: https://twitter.com/MarriedWFiction. Our Married…With Fiction website is launching April first.
Hoping you can all be a part of this community!
****How about you? Have you had any mentors that did something specific in the list above? Do share!****